Friday 3 June 2011

Career pathway ramble


Pictured above is a collection of all of the page designs I've done this academic year. They all follow a cutesy theme which probably wouldn't help my case if I decide to be a page designer, but considering how lazy and unimpressive I was during my graphic communication degree, I'm pretty damn proud of myself. Accomplishing this result as well as doing around 12 twelve shoots and getting good academic grades is something I never thought I'd achieve, so I hope I can do the same in 3rd year and create a stellar dissertation.

But reflecting on everything I've done this year is pecking away at my brain, because I still do not know what I want to be when I "grow up" (22 years of age and still in the mindset that education = childhood).

I love being a stylist but am enjoying the freelancing side of it, as it allows me to pick and choose what I want to do. I don't know if I could ever be a full-time stylist for a company, unless it was owned by Faye Sampson of course (because then I'll know all my shoots will be fun and explosive and planned months in advance).

I do love design but know that I am not talented enough to be a designer. There is a harsh reality to these things, and being capable of using Adobe InDesign is nothing compared to those who have degrees and vast amounts of experience in graphic design.

I'd like to consider myself as a capable writer but unfortunately I'm not a natural; I take forever to write, I write backwards, and despite believing that my English is good, I found out the other day that I've been spelling 'happened' as 'happend' for my entire life, which has resulted in loss of belief in my spelling, grammar and writing abilities.

Lastly, I've always fancied myself to be an art director, as I have developed leadership qualities despite not being born a leader, and like to be a catalyst and manager of creative projects. The problem here is that I lack innovation, and generally prefer working to briefs.

So what will I be? A page-designing styling art director?

Only time will tell, as I still have thousands of internships to apply to before I find my 'thing'.

No comments:

Post a Comment