Sunday 20 March 2011

Adventures of the man-bag


Behind the scenes snapshot from my menswear shoot yesterday

Yesterday I styled my first ever men's shoot, and despite experience difficulties and throwing several pity parties over the wardrobe, it definitely won't be my last. Menswear is so much more exciting in the sense that it's like a foreign territory to me; womenswear is fun and frilly and glamorous, but putting together the wardrobe normally puts me off shopping and clothes for a little while. Menswear is inspiring and stimulating, because I can incorporate the styles and quirks into my own wardrobe without feeling like a mannequin in the Oxford Circus Topshop (albeit a short and oddly proportioned one).

The shoot itself was probably the most tiring one I've done, but was also thankfully my first ever shoot on a day when it wasn't getting dark at quarter to four. We shot in three different locations, including an exploration of Brick Lane and a failed attempt at trespassing into an abandoned shopping centre (a booming voice through a CCTV camera put us in our place), and the day went pretty smoothly. Two fantastic models from AMCK, a brilliant-as-always photographer, great make-up artist who I'd definitely like to work with again, lighting assisting, styling assistant and myself: together we all produced an excellent result which I cannot wait to see.

The lovely brown bag in the picture above made an appearance in two different looks, and in the space of a few hours, has worked its way into my wardrobe. I have officially given up on women's bags, and am now a self-proclaimed man-bag enthusiast. I was even thinking about doing a man-bag-centric photo shoot, but might be faced with the lack of enthusiasm from photographers about trading their agency models for bags. One day I'll find someone to do it with me - if not, I'll do it by myself!




No comments:

Post a Comment